Monday, December 8, 2014

10 Years.

Warning. This post contains a few too many #tbt pics.

2004. Ten years ago my life changed completely. I graduated high school. I moved to Carolina for college. I joined Kappa. And in the past month, I've waltzed right down memory lane with all three.

Two weekends ago, the class of 2004 got together for a little 10 year reunion. While we started college with Facebook and have been insanely connected via social media for the last 10 years, it was fun seeing everyone and catching up!

High School Graduation with Lucky
Representing the class of 2004 in a silly outtake from this spring
Then, in early November, I was lucky enough to visit Carolina again for Kappa. Not having been back to Columbia in seven years, it was so exciting to see all that had changed while I was away. But so much has stayed the same too. I stayed in the Kappa house, my home away from home for three years, and that brought back a flood of memories. College. I waited my whole life it seems like to go to school, and then in a blink of an eye, it was over.

Kappa & Carolina - forever intertwined
The fabulous Melissa and me at graduation
Last Kappa function (someone was pissed I was leaving)
Home Sweet Home
Presenting as a Kappa Trainer
 

Forever to Thee
But that's what happens with life. You wish for moments to arrive and then they're here whether you are ready or not. And before you know it, those moments pass, and it's on to the next thing.

A man I never met passed away last week in Minneapolis. Through his hilarious and touching obituary and his wife's blog, I've been so touched by their love. Her words basically sum up everything I've been feeling about the last ten years. 

This is what being an adult is: doing everything before you are ready. There is no syllabus for life that helps you graduate to the next event. It is happening all around you, all the time. This life itself is the lesson and the test and there is no honor roll, just the sum of your relationships and actions and how you feel when you lay down to go to sleep at night.

It's been a pretty full and incredible decade. Here's to the next ten, whatever they may bring.


xoxo,
Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...