Monday, May 2, 2011

mixed emotions.

[Birch Lake, Hackensack, MN]


I typically try and keep this blog light and fun.  But since last night's announcement that Bin Laden had been killed, I've been filled with mixed emotions.  While I know this is a historic moment in American history, it weighs heavy on my heart.  I am dismayed at the young students in D.C. who were celebrating in the streets last night, singing our national anthem and waving the American flag.  Are we really supposed to cheer and rejoice like we won a sporting event when we kill a terrorist?  Should we rejoice in the death of another human being?


I understand for some this news means more.  Some people have lost more and given more than I have over the last ten years and I will not pretend to understand what it means to lose someone from this war on terrorism.  But I am American, and the events of September 11th left me with the profound feeling of innocence lost.  So, I am happy after ten years that there is finally closure.  


However, I am not naive enough to think it is over.  Our actions are going to piss a lot of dangerous people off and there may be retaliation.  And that scares me.


I am so grateful for those men and women who have dedicated their lives to protecting our people here and abroad.  So all I'm asking is today, instead of cheering over the death of someone terrible, please take time to say a prayer for the lives that were lost and the lives still in danger.  And pray that someday there will be peace.


xoxo,
Alexandra
Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.  -- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

[Watch President Obama's announcement.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...