Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Dreaming of Marquee Lights.

Every girl dreams of seeing her name in lights one day.  Well, two weeks ago, my dad and I went on a little adventure.  My grandpa sold his office and is currently going through the process of clearing it out.  In November, my dad causally mentioned this news to me and my immediate thought was that we needed the sign.  I don't even really know how I remembered what the sign looked like but I knew it was perfect and that I had to have it.  Well, my parents had to have it.  (My dad and his siblings outrank me when it comes to calling dibs!)



So what do we plan to do with the lights?  Well, we're still kicking around a couple of ideas, but I immediately envisioned marquee lights.

Have you heard of the Picker Sisters?  Basic premise: Tanya and Tracy drive around rural America and when they see a yard with lots of junk in it, they stop and try to buy the stuff from the owner.  Once they buy it, they send it to LA to their contractor Alan who transforms the junk into amazing unique pieces for your home.  It's so addicting.  And inspiring.  They're tips for picking are spot on.  You just never know when you are going to find something amazing. 

One of my favorite episodes involved, you guessed it, a marquee light!  Ashley, over at 7th House on the Left recapped the episode but they basically find this old sign and turn it into this amazing marquee complete with a cow:


I. LOVE. IT.  It's weird, it's quirky, it's one-of-a-kind.  If I had a loft or fun work space, that baby would be mine.

Anywho, to say I've been dreaming of marquee lights ever since is an understatement.  And they are everywhere these days, from my local Anthropologie, to television series Smash:

My local Anthropologie


And the best news, they are an easy DIY!  I've rounded up a few of my favorite projects for you:






And if you're not into DIY, no worries - Sideshow Sign Co. sells amazing marquee lights:


Or you can always shop around on Etsy!


Marquee lights - I just can't get enough!

xoxo,
Alex  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...