Wednesday, January 2, 2013

The Whole Chicken Challenge.

If you don't mind taking a moment out of your day, please send prayers and good vibes for my family today.  Thanks!

Thomas Keller's Roast Chicken

A couple of months ago, I managed to make my first whole chicken.  This is a big deal for me, almost like cross it off my bucket list big deal.  For years, my expertise has been baking.  But only in the last year or so have I tried to be more adventurous in my cooking.  Don't get me wrong, I can make a mean pancake, scrambled egg, or pasta dish.  But I really wanted to stretch and learn to make post-college meals.

Rosemary Chicken in the Crockpot

 Enter the whole chicken.  Over the last couple months, we have tried a variety of whole chicken recipes.  I'm not going to lie - it's kind of gross taking out the insides.  And it's a little tough trying to make sure it's fully cooked (note to self: must order kitchen thermometer).  But, it is really satisfying cooking a whole chicken.  I feel like I am following in the footsteps of my great grandmother who I'm sure cooked her own whole chickens on their farm in North Dakota.  Luckily, mine come dead and ready to go!  Yikes - can you imagine starting with a live bird?!

Bundt Pan Roasted Chicken

So, instead of doing tutorials, I'm sharing the recipes we've tried and asking for any ones you just love that should be added to our list to try.  Here you go:

Apple Crockpot Chicken (Easy easy, but not high on flavor.)
Easy Roasted Rosemary Chicken (More tips on crockpot chicken here.  Obviously this was my first time working with rosemary and I didn't realize I should chop it up.  Eh, win some, lose some.)
Thomas Keller's Favorite Simple Roast Chicken (Oh my word - the skin on this chicken was divine!)
Bundt Pan Roasted Chicken (This was probably our best one yet.  IGE posted it a couple weeks ago, and when my friend Melissa tried it, I knew it was next on our list.  It gave us super moist and crispy skin all over the bird!  We skipped the lemon inside and used McCormick's Grill Mates Applewood Rub inside and outside the bird.  One thing though - our pan is deep and the bottom of the chicken was not cooking so we actually flipped the bird halfway through.  It worked great!)

Easy Roasted Rosemary Chicken

Alright, do you challenge yourself in the kitchen?  I'll be sharing my 2013 Kitchen Adventures tomorrow.

xoxo,
Alex



2 comments:

  1. Our favorite way of doing chicken is using the bundt pan, so nice job on that!!

    Here is a recipe I just tried from the new Homesick Texan cookbook...really easy and really good! This one's not online yet, so sorry for the long comment! :)

    1/2 c. yellow mustard
    1 or 2 jalapeño chiles, stems and seeds removed, chopped
    1/4 c. lime juice
    6 cloves garlic
    1/2 c. cilantro
    1/2 tsp ground ginger
    1 tsp ground cumin
    2 tablespoons honey
    salt, to taste
    1 3-4 lb chicken

    1. In a blender or food processor, combine blend together the mustard, jalapeño, lime juice, garlic, cilantro, ground ginger, ground cumin, and honey until well combined. Taste and add salt. Line a baking sheet or roasting pan with aluminum foil.

    2. Rinse the chicken, remove the giblets, and pat the the chicken dry. Spatchcock the chicken by removing the spine using a knife or chicken shears (or, better yet, have the butcher do it!!). Lightly salt the bird with coarse salt. Place the chicken on the prepared baking sheet. Pour the mustard marinade over the chicken and rub it all over the bird. Lay a piece of plastic wrap over the chicken and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.

    3. When you are ready to roast the chicken, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Take the chicken out of the refrigerator and allow it to come up to room temperature while the oven heats up.

    4. Cook the chicken in the oven for 45-50 minutes or when a thermometer inserted in the thigh reads 170 degrees and the juice runs clear. remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalia - This looks delicious! We'll have to give it a try. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...